Table of Contents
Information for families in South Gloucestershire to support them to live healthy, happy lives. This page contains information on local programmes as well as information about how to access online support such as tools and apps.
Healthy Weight Programme (families)
What is the Healthy Weight Programme (families)?
The Healthy Weight Programme (families) is a free 12-week programme delivered by the Active Lifestyle Centres in South Gloucestershire. The includes 12 weekly family sessions consisting of top tips and fun games, as well as access to 12 family physical activities such as swimming, badminton, table tennis.
If your child meets the below eligibility criteria, they can be referred to the programme by the One You team. To find out more complete the One You healthy weight families referral form and a member of the team will be in touch within 5 working days.
- Aged 5 to 17 years
- Has a BMI ≥91st centile with no co-morbidity
- Lives in South Gloucestershire. or registered at a GP surgery in South Gloucestershire
- Parents/carers must consent to the referral and attend/engage in all provision alongside the child or young person
- Does not have a history of or an ongoing eating disorder
Two new family programmes are starting:
- Friday 29 September 2023 at 4pm in Bradley Stoke Leisure Centre
- Tuesday 3 October 2023 at 4pm in Kingswood Leisure Centre
- Tuesday 9 January 2024 at 4pm in Kingswood Leisure Centre
- Friday 12 January 2024 at 4pm in Bradley Stoke Leisure Centre
Complete the healthy weight families referral form to sign up
Better Health Families Healthy Steps Programme
The Better Health families Healthy Steps Programme is a free 8-week email programme to support families to take steps to improve their wellbeing.
Families can sign up by completing a short quiz to find out which one of the 8-week journeys is right for them.
The programme includes top tips, Disney themed games, fun challenges and budget-friendly recipes.
Useful resources and information
- Healthier families – Easy ways to eat well and move more
- The eatwell guide – government recommendations on eating healthily and achieving a balanced diet.
- Infant feeding – support and advice and breastfeeding and bottle feeding
- Weaning – expert NHS advice, helpful videos, tips from other parents, and lots of simple, healthy weaning recipe and meal ideas.
- Better Health website – keep track of calories
- Download the Active 10, couch to 5k and a range of other One You apps – on the Apple store or Google Play
- Healthy eating doesn’t need to be dull. Whip up tasty family meals with these easy step-by-step recipes.
- Love Food Hate Waste. This website is full of recipes and advice for health meals that are better for you and better for the planet: Love Food Hate Waste |
Mental Health and Wellbeing Support
There are a range of options for mental health and wellbeing support for those living in South Gloucestershire.
For more information and to see what is available click here.