Activities for older people – Friendship and exercise clubs
Table of Contents
Friendship and exercise clubs are for older people who like gentle but challenging exercise and games as well as socialising with a cup of tea or coffee.
All the clubs are managed by local community groups and coached by a friendly, approachable instructor with a specialist qualification in exercise and health for older people.
Friendship and Exercise Club sessions
The first session is free (a small fee per session after that). If you would like to start a club in your area, contact email@example.com.
Click on the location headings below to expand the list.
Fishponds Friendship and Exercise Club
- Address: Fishponds Baptist Church (Youth Hall), Downend Road, Fishponds BS16 5AS
- Every Tuesday 10:00am to 11:30am
Kingswood Friendship and Exercise Clubs
- Address: Kingsmeadow@Made Forever, Fisher Road, Kingswood BS15 4RQ
- Every Thursday: 1:15pm to 2:00pm and 2:45pm to 3:30pm (from 25th April)
- Shared social time: 2:00pm-2:45pm
Oldland Friendship and Exercise Clubs
- Address: Community Building, rear of Redfield Edge School, High Street, Oldland Common BS30 9TL
- Every Wednesday: 9:15am to 10:15am and 10:45am to 11:45am
- Shared social time: 10:15am-10:45am
Patchway Friendship and Exercise Clubs
- Address: Coniston Community Centre, Coniston Road, Patchway BS34 5LP
- Every Friday: 9:30am to 10:30am and 10:30am to 11:30am
Staple Hill Friendship and Exercise Clubs
- Address: Methodist Church, High Street, Staple Hill BS16 5HQ
- Every Thursday: 9:30am to 11am and 11:15am to 12:45pm
Cambrian Green Friendship and Exercise Club
- Cambrian Green Court, Wellington Road, Yate BS37 5TR
- Every Friday: 2:15pm to 3:45pm
St. Nicholas, Abbotswood Friendship and Exercise Clubs
- St. Nicholas Family Centre, Chargrove, Yate BS37 4LG
- Every Monday: 9:30am to 10:15am and 11:00am to 11:45am
- Shared social time: 10:15am-11:00am
Staying Steady strength and balance classes
Staying Steady is a programme of strength and balance classes in Bristol to help build strength, walk steadily and lower your risk of falling.Staying Steady
Healthy Lifestyles Directory for older people
This directory showcases the amazing range of activities and groups in South Gloucestershire, all of which can contribute to a healthy lifestyle.Download the Healthy Lifestyles Directory
Useful resources and information
- Physical activity and mental health -Sport and physical activity has a powerful and positive effect on mental health. Visit the Sport England website to find out more.
- Benefits of exercise – Exercise is free, easy to take, has an immediate effect. It can also reduce your risk of major illnesses, such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and cancer by up to 50%.
- See our top 10 tips for motivation and change.
- One You national website
- Download the Active 10, Easy Meals and a range of other One You apps – on the Apple store or Google Play