Table of Contents
All parkruns suspended until further notice
How to stay active while you're at home
It has never been easier to take up running. This page contains information on parkruns, running clubs and groups, orienteering clubs, information on related volunteer opportunities as well as apps and other resources. Please be advised that costs may apply for some of the the groups listed on this page.
A series of timed 5K runs called parkrun take place in parks across the UK, every Saturday morning at 9am, all year round. parkruns are suitable for any ability and both new beginners and recreational runners join every week. Junior parkruns (2K) take place every Sunday at 9am.
The South Gloucestershire parkruns are:
- Chipping Sodbury
- Pomphrey Hill
- Cromhall (a closed event at Leyhill Prison).
Our junior parkruns are:
- Little Stoke
- Page Park (Staple Hill)
These runs are hugely popular and are managed entirely by local volunteers. New volunteers are always welcome and training is given while at the event. Check the events page of parkrun to register and find out more.Parkrun - Events
For information about other volunteering opportunities in South Gloucestershire, visit our volunteer page.Other volunteer opportunities
RunTogether is an official England Athletics recreational running project, encouraging more people to run, and to run more often on their way to running fitness.
All groups are supervised by qualified and approachable leaders – you may wish to contact the group leader first for a friendly chat. Enter your postcode and search for a group or route on the RunTogether website.RunTogether
Run Leader Training
If you are interesting in qualifying as a run leader and volunteering to help other people run, you can learn more from the England Athletics website.
Running and Athletics clubs (England Athletics affiliated) in South Gloucestershire:
- Bitton Road Runners
- Bristol & West Athletics Club
- Emersons Green Running Club
- Hogweed Trotters (Chipping Sodbury)
- Sole Sisters Running Club (women only)
- Thornbury Running Club
- Yate & District Athletics Club
- Y&DAC is partnered with Westbury Harriers
- Bristol Orienteering Klub (Includes courses and events in South Gloucestershire)
Looking for somewhere new to run? Our promoted walking routes, including Park Trails are also suitable for running.
Couch to 5k running plan
- Try the ‘couch to 5K’ running plan for beginners – a week-by-week description of the 9-week set of Couch to 5K podcasts. Each week involves 3 runs and you can download each week as a podcast.
Useful resources and information
- “We Are Undefeatable” – this new campaign aims to help people with long-term health conditions to get more active. Visit the campaign website for more information.
- Physical activity and mental health -Sport and physical activity has a powerful and positive effect on mental health. Visit the Sport England website to find out more.
- Benefits of exercise – Exercise is free, easy to take, has an immediate effect. It can also reduce your risk of major illnesses, such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and cancer by up to 50%.
- See our top 10 tips for motivation and change.
- One You national website
- Download the Active 10, couch to 5k and a range of other One You apps – on the Apple store or Google Play