Activities for older people
Table of Contents
How to stay active while you're at home
There are a whole range of things to do and places to go for older people in South Gloucestershire:
Below is a list of exercise classes, friendship clubs, dance classes and swimming sessions taking place in South Gloucestershire. Please be advised that costs may apply for some of these groups.
Dancing is a wonderful way to keep active and have fun while meeting new people.Dancing
Information on swimming sessions for the over 60s and opening times of swimming pools at Active centres and other leisure centres in South Gloucestershire.
Swimming has all the benefits of an active lifestyle with added value in the support that water provides for our bodies, much reducing impact on the joints.Swimming
Friendship and exercise clubs
Whilst most Friendship and Exercise clubs remain suspended, the following clubs are re-opening with strict safety measures and pre-booking only. *Please call 07825 155954 to book a place*
- St. Nicholas, Yate: Mondays 9.30am-10.30am and 10.30am-11.30am (from 5th October 2020)
- Patchway: 9am-10am and 10.15am-11.15am (from 25th September 2020)
- Kingswood: 1pm-2.30pm (from 1pm-2.30pm – FULLY BOOKED)
Friendship and exercise clubs are for older people who like gentle but challenging exercise and games as well as socialising with a cup of tea or coffee. All the clubs are managed by local community groups and coached by a friendly, approachable instructor with a specialist qualification in exercise and health for older people.Friendship and exercise clubs
Information about about a range of exercise classes in South Gloucestershire.
Whilst every effort has been made to check that fitness instructors are members of the Register of Exercise Professionals you are advised to phone the numbers given to enquire whether the class is suitable for your needs.Exercise classes
We have everything to suit your walking needs, whether you’d like to join a led walk over a short or long distance or just want to download a route to walk by yourself.Walking
Healthy Lifestyles Directory for older people
The 2019-20 Healthy Lifestyles directory for older people is now available. It showcases the amazing range of activities and groups in South Gloucestershire, all of which can contribute to a healthy lifestyle.Download the Healthy Lifestyles Directory
Useful resources and information
- NHS website – for all the latest information and guidance concerning coronavirus
- Age UK – The coronavirus pandemic has changed life for everyone, but some older people are among the hardest hit. Age UK is determined to be there during this crisis.
- Active at Home – A guide to being active at home during the coronavirus outbreak – by Public Health England
- UK Chief Medical Officers’ guidelines – physical activity for adults and older adults – The guidelines emphasise the importance of building strength and balance for adults as well as 150 minutes per week of moderate physical activity and, for older adults, activities to improve balance.
- Benefits of exercise – Exercise is free, easy to take, has an immediate effect. It can also reduce your risk of major illnesses, such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and cancer by up to 50%.
- “We Are Undefeatable” – this new campaign aims to help people with long-term health conditions to get more active. Visit the campaign website for more information.
- Physical activity and mental health -Sport and physical activity has a powerful and positive effect on mental health. Visit the Sport England website to find out more.
- See our top 10 tips for motivation and change.
- One You national website
- Download the Active 10, Easy Meals and a range of other One You apps – on the Apple store or Google Play