Table of Contents
Our vision is to work together to make South Gloucestershire more active.
- Start active: Supporting all children and young people to have an active start in life.
- Active every day: Encouraging all adults to build activity into their everyday lives.
- Stay active: Supporting older adults to live longer and more active lives.
Being active and healthy is fun. If we enjoy it, we’re more likely to keep doing it.
Physical Activity Guidelines
The UK Chief Medical Officers emphasise the importance of building strength and balance for adults (including older adults), as well as 150 minutes per week of moderate physical activity.
The key messages are:
- Some is good, more is better
- Make a start today: it’s never too late
- Every minute counts
The guidance also advises on safe levels of activity for pregnant women and new mothers as well as for babies, children and young people and disabled adults:Physical Activity Guidelines: Infographics
Activities near you
There are many opportunities to get active in South Gloucestershire.
- Walking– including recommended routes and our Walking for Health scheme
- Running– joining a group or take part in parkrun
- Swimming – Go for a casual swim in the pool or join a session at your local leisure centre
- Cycling – cycling is an easy, cheap and healthy way of travelling. Also find out more about Bikeability – a cycling programme developing skills and confidence for all kinds of cycling.
The Well Aware website provides information on a wide range of organisations; support groups, community groups, events and activities that can help improve your health and wellbeing in Bristol and South Gloucestershire.You can also register your own activities.
South Gloucestershire Council also manage a large number of open spaces including parks, playing fields and sports pitches.
Active Wellbeing sessions
These free sessions aim to deliver a variety of physical activities for all abilities in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. They will incorporate a mix of strength exercises, cardio activities, and elements of recreational sports. A range of equipment will be used including small weights, resistance bands and mats.Register for an Active Wellbeing Session
There are five Active Lifestyle Centres across South Gloucestershire. These are situated in Yate, Thornbury, Kingswood, Longwell Green and Bradley Stoke.Find your nearest Active Centre
Active in Life
- Do you do less than 30 minutes of physical activity a week?
- Do you live in South Gloucestershire?
- Are you over 18?
If yes then you can get an activity card from Active in Life. With a great range of activities on offer, for only £2 per session you can try out 8 goes at nominated fitness classes, tennis, martial arts, buggy fit and many more. Also on offer are one month Gym tasters or Couch-To-5K courses for only £10!
Also, why not try the Active in life Bingo Card? Each day pick one square to make a small, healthy lifestyle change
Phone: 01454865821Active in Life
Useful resources and information
- “We Are Undefeatable” – this new campaign aims to help people with long-term health conditions to get more active. Visit the campaign website for more information. Share your personal stories by going to the Wesport website.
- This Girl Can -This website celebrates active women and has encouraged nearly three million women to get more active since launching in 2015.
- Physical activity and mental health -Sport and physical activity has a powerful and positive effect on mental health. Visit the Sport England website to find out more.
- Benefits of exercise – Exercise is free, easy to take, has an immediate effect. It can also reduce your risk of major illnesses, such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and cancer by up to 50%.
- See our top 10 tips for motivation and change.
- One You national website
- Download the Active 10, couch to 5k and a range of other One You apps – on the Apple store or Google Play