Quit Smoking Aids
Table of Contents
There are many ways to stop smoking, find the one that works for you. You are more likely to quit smoking by mixing and matching motivational support from an advisor with stop smoking aids or medicines. These can help you manage withdrawal symptoms such as cravings, headaches and trouble sleeping.
Stop smoking medicines and aids
- Prescribed medication: Zyban tablets (Bupropion)
- Nicotine replacement therapies (NRT), including patches, gum, lozenges, microtabs, inhalators and nasal sprays
- Vapourising (Vaping)
Zyban and NRT are available from the NHS with a prescription, and NRT can also be bought from pharmacies and other shops (such as supermarkets) without a prescription.
Vapourisers can be purchased from reputable vape shops.
Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT)
- NRT gives you some of the nicotine that you would have received from cigarettes, but without all the harmful substances like tar, cyanide and carbon monoxide.
- A full course of treatment usually lasts for 8-12 weeks, but because NRT is so much safer than smoking, it can be used for longer periods if it helps you to not smoke.
- All licensed nicotine-containing products are effective treatments to help you stop smoking, however no single NRT product is better than any other, and there are a number of options.
- Because NRT gives you a lower dose of nicotine than you get from cigarettes, many people use the patch to give a background dose of nicotine and one of the other products, such as the gum or the lozenges, to top this up.
Prescribed medication: Zyban tablets (Bupropion)
- Zyban is a tablet that makes quitting smoking easier by reducing the urge to smoke, and by reducing withdrawal symptoms. It acts on the areas of the brain that are involved in addiction.
- Once a date is set to stop smoking, you can start taking tablets one or two weeks before. Treatment normally lasts for 8 weeks.
- Zyban is only available on prescription and is not available if you are pregnant or if you have some pre-existing conditions – for more information on whether Zyban would be a good option for you, contact your local stop smoking service, doctor or pharmacist.
- A vapouriser is a battery powered device that allows you to inhale nicotine in a vapour rather than smoke.
- Vapourisers don’t burn tobacco and don’t produce tar or carbon monoxide, two of the most harmful elements in tobacco smoke.
- They work by heating a solution (e-liquid) that typically contains nicotine, propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerine, and flavourings.
- There is growing evidence that vaping can help people stop smoking by managing nicotine cravings.
- To get the best out of it, you will need to quit cigarettes completely and use your vape as much as you need to with the right strength of nicotine. You can get more advice from specialist vape shops or your local stop smoking service.
- Public Health England conducted an independent review of vapourisers in 2019 and found that, based on the available evidence, vaping is around 95% less harmful than smoking. A Royal College of Physicians report came to a similar conclusion in 2016.
- Currently in the UK, vapourisers are not a licensed medicinal product, but they are tightly regulated for safety and quality. They aren’t completely risk-free, but they carry a small fraction of the risk of smoking cigarettes.
Daily email support
Stay focused on quitting with support sent straight to your inbox. The Smokefree emails, sent every day for 28 days, are full of advice, tips and encouragement to help you achieve your goal.