Eating a healthy, balanced diet is an important part of maintaining good health, and can help you feel your best. This means eating a wide variety of foods in the right proportions, and consuming the right amount of food and drink to achieve and maintain a healthy body weight.
Tips for a healthy diet
For a healthy diet it is important to:
- Eat the right amount of calories for how active you are, so that you balance the energy you consume with the energy you use. If you eat or drink too much, you’ll put on weight. If you eat and drink too little, you’ll lose weight.
- Eat a wide range of foods to ensure that you’re getting a balanced diet and that your body is receiving all the nutrients it needs.
The NHS website lists eight practical tips on how we can make healthier food choicesNHS - 8 tips for healthy eating
Just one or two everyday swaps can really make a difference- download the Food Scanner and start swapping today. Also check out a range of healthy recipe ideas.Read more
The Eatwell Guide
The Eatwell Guide shows the proportions in which different types of foods are needed to have a well-balanced and healthy diet.Read more
Useful resources and information
- Infant feeding – support and advice and breastfeeding and bottle feeding
- Weaning – expert NHS advice, helpful videos, tips from other parents, and lots of simple, healthy weaning recipe and meal ideas.
- One You national website – keep track of calories
- Download the Active 10, couch to 5k and a range of other One You apps – on the Apple store or Google Play
- Healthy eating doesn’t need to be dull. Whip up tasty family meals with these easy step-by-step recipes.
Keep an eye on your vitamin D
It’s that time of year when we cannot make enough vitamin D from sunshine.
To keep bones and muscles healthy, it’s best to take a vitamin D supplement every day between October and early March.
Vitamin D supplements are available from most pharmacies, supermarkets and other retailers. Just 10 micrograms a day is all you need – it’s the same for kids and grown-ups.Read more about Vitamin D