Activities for older people – swimming
Swimming has many benefits, not only being a great form of exercise but also reducing impact on the joints.
Swimming pools at all South Gloucestershire Active Centres are open daily for public swimming. In addition the below over 60s sessions are offered at the following Active centres:
- Bradley Stoke Active Lifestyle Centre BS32 9BS: Wednesday: 11:00am – 12:00noon
- Kingswood Active Lifestyle Centre BS16 4RH: Tuesday and Thursday: 11:00am – 12:00noon (diving boards are open for use during the last 15 minutes of this session)
- Longwell Green Active Lifestyle Centre BS15 9LA: Friday: 9:00am – 11:00am (9:30 – 11:00am: deep end only)
- Thornbury Active Lifestyle Centre BS35 3JB: Friday: 12:00noon – 1:30pm (two lanes)
Call 0300 333 0300 or go to the Active Centres website.Active Centre swimming pools
The following over 50s session is offered at Filton Leisure centre:
- Filton Sports & Leisure Centre BS34 7PS: 50+ swimming Friday 3:00pm – 4:00pm
Call 01454 866686 or go to the Filton leisure centre websiteFilton Leisure Centre
Please be advised that there are costs to attend these sessions.
Healthy Lifestyles Directory for older people
This directory showcases the amazing range of activities and groups in South Gloucestershire, all of which can contribute to a healthy lifestyle.Download the Healthy Lifestyles Directory
Useful resources and information
- Physical activity and mental health -Sport and physical activity has a powerful and positive effect on mental health. Visit the Sport England website to find out more.
- Benefits of exercise – Exercise is free, easy to take, has an immediate effect. It can also reduce your risk of major illnesses, such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and cancer by up to 50%.
- See our top 10 tips for motivation and change.
- One You national website
- Download the Active 10, Easy Meals and a range of other One You apps – on the Apple store or Google Play